Monday, December 22, 2008

More NAVL stuff

NAVL 9

These illustrations were all done using Liquitex Acrylic paints. This was one of my first attempts at working with acrylic paint. Acrylics are a difficult medium to get used to, at first it's a battle to get the paint to do what you want it to do. It's a totally different experience than working with Windsor and Newton Designer's Colors. Once you get acquainted with the medium it's a joy to use. Acrylics work quit well as washes or when used thick like oils.

NAVL 1

Rep Bob Witmer and a friend's children were the models for this illustration. That's my cat Puffy on the roof of the truck.

NAVL 6

The only model I remember in this illustration is Don Weiland, one of the top automotive illustrators in Detroit, he's standing with the blue box.

NAVL 2

This job was done in about 1965, there was still a good deal of illustration work around. I was getting my share of work in Detroit and with Bob Witmer repping me in Chicago and Bill Neeley in New York it was a busy time for me. I was also teaching at the Society of Arts and Crafts full time. I managed to do that because teaching was only a half a day except for Wednesday which was the full day. Being able to juggle my time well between working at the studio and teaching I only missed one day of school in all of the four years that I taught. At times it got a little overwhelming, evaluating and commenting on 48 students work and answering all of their questions, but I really enjoyed it. I still keep in touch with some of my former students and we get together fairly often. Some have retired, I must be getting old !

1 comment:

Drake Brodahl (pumml) said...

Such terrific work! I'm really enjoying the vivid and unexpected color combinations in these latest posts.