Monday, June 8, 2009

Early illustrations

Here are some illustrations that I did when I was 14 in 1942. These were probably my first attempt at painting with watercolors. I must have been reading a lot about historic naval battles. You may wonder where I found all this old art, my mother saved a lot of the things that I drew and painted when I was a kid.

33-5  Watercolor1942
THE BATTLE OF LAKE ERIE

33-6 Watercolors 1942 3
BATTLE AT FAYAL, THE AZORES

33-7 Watercolors 1942
BATTLE OF MOBILE BAY

33-8 Watercolors 1942
ATLANTIC PATROL

34-1 PTG 1942
This illustration looks a if I were influenced by Fred Harmon, the artist who drew the Red Ryder comic strip. This was done using gouache, not watercolors.

2 comments:

Vince A said...

Do you remember what instrument you used for inking the ships? You must have been pretty limited as to choices back then (in general, and especially with WWII going on)

Harry Borgman said...

Hi Vince,
The drawings were inked with a Speedball pen, either a B5 or B6 using Higgins ink. I think that they still making them. I also used a crowquill pen for a lot of line drawings. I don't recall having any problems with availability of art supplies at that time.
Harry