Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Another painting in my new series

I have been working on a series of paintings based on studies created on the computer. DANCING LADY is the eleventh in the series which are acrylic paintings done on canvas.

Dancer1
I first enlarge my sketch using a Beseler projector and trace the image on the canvas using a marker pen. By using a Design Art Marker to do my drawing the image will show through after I paint in the background color.

Dancer2
I decide to change the background to more of a brighter orange color. You can see that the basic drawing is still visible.

Dancer3
I begin to add some of the white shapes.

Dancer4
I gradually add some of the other colors. It will probably take a couple more days to finish the painting as I have many more shapes and colors to add. During this process some of the colors and values will also be changed. I will post more pictures as the work progresses. In September, on my other blog, I posted demos on other paintings in this series.

CSPosterNew
Here's a teaser ad that I designed for Craig that shows a sketch of the new painting.

Craig's 3
Here are a few of these paintings in the Craig Smith Gallery in Harbert, Michigan.

Craig's 2
Craig even has some of my work hanging in the bathroom, THE TENTH MUSE is perfect hanging on these orange walls.

Craig's5
Here is DECONSTRUCTED NUDE.

2 comments:

thetoonman said...

Hi Harry,

Regarding the post I'm actually posting on, I'm really digging the painting, but moreso I really wanted to compliment you on your inked work.

I am an avid fan of drawn.ca and only just discovered your work through there and really admire the posts they decided to put up of your work (how to draw monsters book).

I'm a starting out illustrator/graphic designer myself, hopefully going back next year for my masters..graphics for the career but I really enjoy just drawing, and in fact just got my first coloring book gig a few weeks back.

I'm adding your blog to my list of blogs so I can keep updated and probably will have a couple questions later on, if you don't mind answering them, just wanted to come by and say I really appreciate your work.

I'm currently doing a zombie project myself, on www.jeremythecartoonist.blogspot.com , I'd appreciate any comments/advice.

Nice to meet you, take care,

-Jeremy

Harry Borgman said...

Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for checking out my blog and also for your kind words. Any questions that you have, feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer them.
Harry